Repeat Customer Upgrades Machine
Torin 115-CNC Spring Coiler Upgraded
Download the study here: Torin Spring Coiler: 115 CNC Coiler Upgrade
Objectives & Background:
- A repeat customer approached FENN looking for a solution to increase efficiency and output with their spring coiling operations and eliminate the use of hydraulics in their machine.
- To meet production quotas, the customer decided to upgrade an existing Torin spring coiler.
- Older worn parts caused mechanical issues in the aging machine that resulted in poor quality springs.
- The 20-year age of the machine meant there were obsolete electrical components that made it difficult to support.
- The dated 115-CNC coiler had slower production rates than Torin’s current generation of FZ Series coilers, which meant there was significant room for improvement.
- FENN completed an electrical and mechanical inspection of the machine, to fully understand the state of the equipment.
- After inspection, FENN provided a customized proposal of necessary upgrades to ensure maximum productivity for the customer’s coiling process.
- Because obsolete hydraulics cause unwanted maintenance costs and productivity issues, FENN replaced the hydraulics on the original CNC coiler with a servo-motor driven cut.
- The latest Torin software was implemented into a new 19-inch touch screen display.
Value to Customer:
- The customer received a fully supportable spring coiler, both electrically and mechanically.
- The upgraded coiler has more efficient production rates, with decreased setup times.
- Compression springs are being produced at least 4x faster than the coiler was capable of before the upgrade.
- The modern Torin FZ Series electrical and software components are much more reliable, resulting in increased uptime and maximized productivity.
- Torin’s latest software combines new high-tech features with classic CNC style programming, making training easy for current Torin operators.
- The customer gained access to new features of the FZ Series, as part of the upgrade process, including remote access for equipment and software support.
- A 2-year warranty comes standard on all new components, providing peace of mind to the customer.