FENN engineers and manufactures a complete line of precision Rolling Mills machines. FENN offers a wide range of standard and custom Rolling Mills for a variety of applications including heavy ingot breakdown, laboratory research, coil to coil rolling and precision strip.
Our wide range of standard and custom mill sizes meet nearly every metal rolling need, from heavy ingot breakdown to high speed strip and wire flattening. FENN laboratory Rolling Mill models are widely used by research facilities and universities for metallurgical development and primary metal producers for pilot run process enhancement. Not sure where to start? Learn some of the questions FENN’s engineers will ask in order to determine the best mill for your specific application. Our large base of satisfied customers includes many prominent names in industries such as automotive, aerospace, military/defense, medical and materials research. The fine reputation enjoyed by our Rolling Mills is the result of the machine's robust design, dependability, and versatility, along with scrupulous attention to quality and 100% conformance to the client's project requirements.
Our rolling mills are available in both 2Hi and 4Hi roll configurations, and mills may be either work roll driven, back-up roll driven, or a combination of both. On one end of the spectrum, 4Hi mills with work rolls are offered as small as .500" (12.7mm) in diameter. On the large end of the spectrum, 2Hi mills are offered with rolls up to 16" (400mm) in diameter. Custom Rolling Mill machines are FENN's specialty, and we invite you to contact us with inquiries regarding any size and configuration!
We offer hot and cold metal forming machines as well as combination mills that can accommodate both hot and cold rolling applications. Hot rolling is a process in which the metal is heated to above the recrystallization temperature, allowing the material to deform on a microscopic level and take its new shape. On the contrary, cold rolling is when the process is conducted at room temperature and does not require heating the metal. Learn more about the difference between hot and cold rolling mills.
For Research and Development applications, FENN manufactures laboratory Rolling Mills equipped with Statistical Process Controls (SPC) to track and record “real time” data. R&D projects may require the testing of multiple materials, laboratory mills are designed to accommodate a variety of materials for testing and manipulation. The precision strip mills we engineer are to meet the critical requirements of metallurgical research. With separating force capabilities from 30,000 lbs. (13.6 MT) to 1,175,000 lbs. (533 MT), our mills have received wide acceptance in laboratories, where precision, flexibility, and compactness are especially important. Our trusted engineers are prepared to work with any research facility, college or university to provide a customized mill suited to their unique requirements.
At FENN, every rolling mill is designed with features to maximize uptime and increase production quantities. Typical standard features can include:
- Automatic gauge control
- Data acquisition system
- Automatic pass scheduling
- Asymmetric rolling
- Motorized conveyor tables
- Built in roll change rig
- Drive shaft support system
- Interlock safety guarding
In addition to standard offerings, our expert staff regularly collaborate with customers to create customized Rolling Mill machines for unique requirements. Mills have been produced in a variety of sizes ranging from a minimum roll size of 3” (76 mm) in diameter to a maximum roll size of 30” (762 mm) in diameter. A range of available screwdown options include, mechanical, electro-mechanical, and servo-hydraulic.
ROLLING MILL ACCESSORIES FOR WIRE FLATTENING & SHAPING:
Depending upon the application, ancillary equipment can be used to increase a mill’s potential. Accessory options can be used to reduce labor costs while increasing a business’ production quantity, quality, and profit. There are many optional rolling mill accessories that can be used for wire flattening & shaping.
EXAMPLES OF TYPICAL APPLICATIONS INCLUDE:
- Breakdown rolling either straight lengths or coil to coil
- Finish rolling for tight tolerance thin gauge
- Powder Metallurgy Rolling
- Bonding dissimilar metals together
- Laboratory mills used for Research and Development (R&D)
- Camber correction of BI-metal strip after Electron-beam welding
- Grooved rolls for rod rolling (square or circular sections)
- Embossed rolls for pattern rolling
FENN offers several standard Mill types; however custom machines can be designed to suit any application or production requirement. Standard Rolling Mill types include:
- Two High - Generally used for hot or cold breakdown, rundown and finishing of bar, sheet or strip. A wide range of sizes with separating force capacities from 10,000 lbs. (4.53 MT) to over 3,000,000 lbs. (1360 MT) are available.
- Four High - For finish rolling of thin gage stock, heavy reductions on nominally thin gage material and precision tolerances. Six-High roll inserts are also available for narrow width ribbon and foil products.
- Combination- A versatile "two-in-one" type that permits both two-high and four-high rolling in a single mill.
- Tandem - For multiple pass rolling combining two or more mill stands, often used with FENN Turks Heads, Edgers, Dancers, Inter-Stand Tensiometers, Payoff and Take-up equipment.
- Laboratory - Specially engineered to meet the critical and versatile requirements of metallurgists and scientists in the research and university fields as well as pilot line development.
- Horizontal - Designed for the field of powered metallurgy, plastics and batter industries.
- Three High - An economic milling solution for the breakdown of rod and ingot.
- Specialty - Custom designed to meet the unique Rolling Mill machine requirements of today's demanding industries.
- Mill with Winders - Allows for the rolling of continuous coil for sheet or thin foil.
- Accessories - A complete offering of material handling, processing, gauging and labor-saving accessories are available for all FENN Rolling Mills, including laboratory models.
With our rolling mill expertise and design flexibility we can manufacture the most economical rolling mill machines to meet your business needs. FENN welcomes the opportunity to serve you!
High Quality Machines & Excellent Service
We use FENN as the supplier of Wire Flattening & Shaping Line for our wedge wire (Screen Wire) production because of their experience in producing similar equipment and their top notch reputation in the industry. FENN’s engineers and metallurgy experts worked closely with our team in all aspects of the project – from examining and understanding our material specifications to machine design, trial run at their works prior to shipment, and finally Start Up, Commissioning & Training of our operators at our factory in India. We are very pleased that FENN ensured that all of our requirements were met, and that the machine functioned with precision, quality and reliability. I would highly recommend FENN for any company looking for a high quality machine supported by excellent customer service and metal forming process expertise.
Trusted Fenn for Decades
Ulbrich has trusted Fenn wire flattening and shaping lines for several decades to produce the highest quality shaped and flatwire available. Fenn's experienced staff has provided the process knowledge required to select, design and build machines to suit specific applications. Fenn machinery has always proven very reliable, consistently satisfying our critical tolerances and specifications. At Ulbrich, we pride ourselves on offerings superior products for over 90 years, and trust Fenn machinery to get the job done.
In 2009 we decided to purchase our first ‘Z’ CNC Coiler. The efficiencies gained by reduced setup time, increased throughput, and significantly reduced scrap rate while holding extremely tight tolerances was immediately realized through a complete statistical analysis. The machine paid for itself within months. Success with our first Torin ‘Z’ CNC led Springfield Spring to purchase another ‘Z’ CNC coiler, followed by three more of the latest model, the Torin FZ Series. Our five newest Torin spring coilers replaced all of our mechanicals, freeing up substantial space for new business endeavors. Fenn not only produces a top-notch machine but their sales, service, applications, and technical professionals are second to none. Fenn acts and responds like a business partner, not your traditional machine ‘dealer’.